Saturday 24 September 2016

Aside


Today I present to you "Aside" by The Weakerthans featuring the lyrical genius of one John K. Samson, the leader of the Weakerthans (aka my favorite Winnipeg band). 

A songwriter as well as a published poet, Samson always seems to hit the ball home with his keen eye for details, wit and irony (One Great City is epic). But the chorus of his I most adore is:

I'm leaning on this broken fence // between past and present tense 
And I'm losing all those stupid games that I swore I'd never play// But it feels almost okay

That might just be one of the most insightful lyrics ever written when dealing with our precious failures. Whether it's marriage problems, childhood issues or holding unforgiveness, that line -- particularly when sung aloud -- always seems to take me to a higher place of perspective. 

The barriers between our past and our present are not as solidly built as we envision and they usually needs to be destroyed for our future to unfold. Thank you John K for helping me as I've worked this out.

Measure me in metered lines in one decisive stare
The time it takes to get from here to there
My ribs that show through t-shirts and these shoes I got for free
I'm unconsoled, I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be
Terrified of telephones and shopping malls and knives
And drowning in the pools of other lives
Rely a bit too heavily on alcohol and irony
Get clobbered on by courtesy in love with love and lousy poetry
And I'm leaning on this broken fence
Between past and present tense
And I'm losing all those stupid games
That I swore I'd never play but it almost feels okay
Circumnavigate this body of wonder and uncertainty
Armed with every precious failure and amateur cartography
I'm breathing deep before
I spread those maps out on my bedroom floor
And I'm leaving with goodbye
And I'm losing but I'll try
With the last ways left to remember sing
My imperfect offering


#MonthfulOfMusic #HoodMom

No comments:

Post a Comment