Thursday 15 September 2016

A monthful of music

Music. So much has been written about it. There's just so much to say. Albums, songs and their artists have led me through good times and heartbreak, marriage, singleness, pointed the way to the divine, taken me to soul exploding worship and helped to do so much work in my heart.

These days I'm in a reflective mode. My father passed away this past spring and my mother is ailing. What do I turn to? My Saviour of course, but I'm also drawn to the music of my childhood, the music I've listened to in the past and the music that is speaking to me now. 

I want to share a month full of music  savoury and delicious songs  that have moved me in one way or another, rocked my world and touched me in my deep innermost places. Just because. 

I grew up around my parent's eclectic collection of LPs, 8-tracks and cassettes. When I think of them, strangely it's Henry Mancini that immediately springs to mind. But I Can See Clearly Now by Johnny Nash is unquestionably the most inspirational song of my childhood that has managed to chase me all through my life.

When I'm confused, down or just feeling meh, more times that I can count I will hear Johnny Nash's voice sing to me in my car, a coffee shop, a mall or a lounge. And I just know that I know in my knower that it's Abba reminding me that everything is gonna work out okay. And you know what? It always does. 

I think I can make it now the pain is gone
All of the bad feelings have disappeared
Here is the rainbow I’ve been prayin for
It’s gonna be a bright bright sunshiny day

Look all around, there’s nothin but blue skies
Look straight ahead, nothing but blue skies

I can see clearly now the rain is gone
I can see all obstacles in my way
Gone are the dark clouds that had me blind
It’s gonna be a bright bright sunshiny day

#MonthfulOfMusic #HoodMom


No comments:

Post a Comment