Wednesday 21 September 2016

My Old Friend the Blues

Oh how I used to obsessively listen to "My Old Friend the Blues" by Steve Earle

Guitar Town is the album that turned me into a rabid fan of Steve Earle's alt.country. I'd be willing to guess I've seen him more than any other artist and I have absolutely fixated on all his records over the years.

In 1986, no song spoke to my anxious heart more than this one. I've never struggled with depression, but I was surely acquainted with the blues. 

My how things have changed in the past few years. I may not be there any longer, but My Old Friend the Blues still holds a special place in my heart (as does Steve Earle).

Just when every ray of hope was gone
I should have known that you would come along
I can't believe I ever doubted you
My old friend the blues
Another lonely night, a nameless town
If sleep don't take me first, you'll come around
'Cause I know I can always count on you
My old friend the blues
Lovers leave and friends will let you down
But you're the only sure thing that I've found
No matter what I do I'll never lose
My old friend the blues
Just let me hide my weary heart in you
My old friend the blues


#MonthfulOfMusic #HoodMom

No comments:

Post a Comment