Saturday 24 September 2016

Kite

I'm a lifelong lyric fanatic and God often speaks me through the word craft of songwriters. Bono of U2 often writes lyrics that blow my mind especially his songs that are rooted in the Bible (check out Bible references in U2 lyrics for more revelation). 
U2's stellar 2000 album All That You Can't Leave Behind is chock full of brilliant lyrics, but there's a line in "Kite" that stands out for me: Life should be fragrant // Rooftop to the basement. It sets this song apart from the rest of the album and even gave me the name for this blog. And since I can smell things of God, it has become my life's motto of sorts. Because when you think about it, our lives really should be fragrant from the rooftop all the way to the basement.

Something is about to give I can feel it coming
I think I know what it means
I'm not afraid to die I'm not afraid to live
And when I'm flat on my back I hope to feel like I did
And hardness, it sets in You need some protection
The thinner the skin

I want you to know that you don't need me anymore
I want you to know You don't need anyone or anything at all

Who's to say where the wind will take you
Who's to say what it is will break you
I don't know which way the wind will blow
Who's to know when the time's come around
Don't want to see you cry
I know that this is not goodbye
In summer I can taste the salt in the sea
There's a kite blowing out of control on a breeze
I wonder what's gonna happen to you
You wonder what has happened to me

I'm a man, I'm not a child
A man who sees the shadow behind your eyes

Did I waste it? Not so much I couldn't taste it
Life should be fragrant, Rooftop to the basement
The last of the rock stars When hip hop drove the big cars
In the time when new media Was the big idea
That was the big idea

#MonthfulOfMusic #HoodMom

No comments:

Post a Comment