Monday 26 September 2016

Smile

Everybody's gotta have a personal anthem. Mine is "Smile" by The Jayhawks, one of my favorite bands from Minneapolis. When I'm in the struggle with negative mindsets, worry or vexing thoughts, this is what I play to sing along to and reset my day. 
Right next door to Manitoba, Minnesota's landscape is somewhat similar to ours and the opening lines of "Smile" are so evocative of lake life, you can just tell singer/songwriter/leader Gary Louris spends time at the cottage. 

Wake up, put your shoes on //
Take a breath of the northern air //
And rub those eyes //
Genuflect beneath the starry skies


I so relate to that, making it the chief reason this song speaks to me. There is nothing quite like standing beside a lake and letting God captivate me through the expanse of His heavens. My response is always soul exploding worship, which is so perfectly triggered by this song. 

And besides, I really don't have any problems -- even in my darkest hour of despair -- that my heavenly Papa can't fix. So I keep my chin up and I smile. 


Wake up, put your shoes on
Take a breath of the northern air
And rub those eyes
Genuflect beneath the starry skies
Before you climb the mountain
First the foothills must appear
Step high and light
And take up your staff and shining armor
(Chin up, chin up)
You don't really have a problem
(Chin up, chin up)
In your hour of despair
And smile when you're down and out
(Find something inside you)
Smile when you're down and out
(Find something inside you)
Smile
The stars on the horizon
Stretch as far as the eyes can see
They represent the souls of those like you and me

#MonthfulOfMusic #HoodMom

No comments:

Post a Comment