Friday 30 September 2016

Cry In My Heart

It's hard when you accept Jesus and much of the music you've listened to all your life simply doesn't make sense any longer. And the Christian music you hear is just...meh. 
Thankfully everything changed when I first saw Winnipeg Christian band Starfield live at The Meeting Place. A brand spanking new Christian, I was a bit flummoxed when a young guy I met at the concert offered to buy me their new CD when I told him I was too broke. Ummm, what? I actually wondered if he was coming on to me. Truth be told I still didn't yet know how to receive generosity.

I've seen Starfield live plenty of times, but I became infatuated with their song "Cry in My Heart" because of all things, a Dayspring audio greeting card that featured the verse as a snippet. I would choke up weeping every time I heard What do I have if I don't have You, Jesus? // What in this life could mean any more? // You are my rock // You are my glory // You are the lifter of my head.

I loved the imagery of Him lifting my head even if it took me a few dozen listens to realize that was directly from Scripture.

But you, O LORD, are a shield about me, my glory, and the lifter of my head.(Psalm 3:3)

Plus, the questions they posed were just so potent to me. What would I do if I didn't have The One who gives meaning to my life? Turns out Jesus is still revealing the answers to me every day.

There's a cry in my heart for Your glory to fall
For Your presence to fill up my senses
There's a yearning again

A thirst for discipline
A hunger for things that are deeper
Could You take me beyond?
Could You carry me through?
If I open my heart could I go there with You?

For I've been here before
But I know there's still more
Oh, Lord, I need to know You
For what do I have if I don't have You, Jesus?
What in this life could mean any more?
You are my rock

You are my glory
You are the lifter of my head


#MonthfulOfMusic #HoodMom

No comments:

Post a Comment