Tuesday 20 September 2016

God Bless The Child

In the late 80s, my pal Pam Dixon did me the favor of a lifetime and recorded me a mixtape full of Billie Holiday tunes. Though I had grown up with some of my parent's jazz records, Billie wasn't to be found their collection and I was instantly enthralled. 

It'd be hard to narrow down my favorite Billie Holiday song, but God Bless The Child most certainly is near the top of my list. 

She cowrote the song in 1941 after an argument with her mother over money and it begins with her take on Matthew 25:29. For everyone who has will be given more and he will have an abundance. Whoever does not have, even what he has will be taken from him.

It's easy to discern the exasperation she was feeling because her voice was such a magnificent instrument. Like so many her songs, God Bless the Child has a perfect vintage feel to it and I'll never grow tired of it.

Them that’s got shall get
Them that’s not shall lose
So the Bible said and it still is news
Mama may have, Papa may have
But God bless the child that’s got his own
Yes, the strong gets more
While the weak ones fade
Empty pockets don’t ever make the grade
Mama may have, Papa may have
But God bless the child that’s got his own
Money, you’ve got lots of friends
Crowding round the door
When you’re gone, spending ends
They don’t come no more
Rich relations give crust of bread and such
You can help yourself but don’t take too much
Mama may have, Papa may have
But God bless the child that’s got his own
That’s got his own
He just worry ’bout nothin’
Cause he’s got his own
#MonthfulOfMusic #HoodMom

No comments:

Post a Comment