Tuesday 8 November 2016

#WarOnGrumbling Day 23

I'm grateful that God gave me a smile and I get to use it. 


Before my father passed away, he spent almost a year in and out of hospitals. During my many visits, I found there was one thing in my spiritual arsenal that worked better than anything. My smile.

Whether it be the health care staff, the patients or visitors, people are so stressed out in hospitals. And nothing changed the atmosphere more than smiling at folks. Some days it was hard, but the more I did it, the easier it got. After a while it almost became my ministry to walk through the hospital and throw smiles at anyone I encountered.

Dad is gone and I think I sorta forgot about the power of my smile. Then today at Polo Park, I passed by a bald elderly lady who was grimacing and leaning on a cane while she made her way one unsteady step at a time down the mall. I stopped and did nothing more than smile at her, and to see her face light up and her entire demeanor change because of a such a tiny gesture was truly humbling. I have got to do that more often.



#WarOnGrumbling #40DaysOfThanksgiving

No comments:

Post a Comment