Saturday 19 November 2016

#WarOnGrumbling Day 34

I'm thankful for some fresh perspective.

Idlib devastation at night © Reuters
I've had a stressful couple of days with mom and some other things swirling around me. It's been difficult keeping my emotions in check and my hope alive, although I've most certainly felt the steady hand of my Saviour guiding me.

Downtown Idlib
Tonight my friend Naomi and I ran into a Syrian refugee we've seen around the last few weeks and he brought along his brother in law, who'd just arrived in Winnipeg. Through Google Translate and broken English they told us a bit of their story and how they got from Idlib, Syria to Winnipeg, Canada. When we asked about their hometown, they said simply "it is no more."

Over the years, I've heard a gazillion refugee stories, but something about that statement took our breath away. Canada is far from perfect, but it does offer safety, openness and multicultural flair. 

Methinks I needed that perspective check today.

I will fight to follow //
I will fight for love //
To throw my life forever //
Into the triumph of the Son //
And I know Your love has won it all

#WarOnGrumbling #40DaysOfThanksgiving

No comments:

Post a Comment