Thursday 24 November 2016

#WarOnGrumbling Final Day (40)

I'm so grateful that in the midst of the deep personal drama of losing both my parents within seven months, I can experience God's promises anew.


My father died in April and when I think back my go-to state of mind was mostly jaggedness underpinned by a dull ache. Now, after walking alongside my mother and the battle she just lost with cancer, I'm a bit astounded to feel palpable peace, love, thanksgiving, comfort and even joy co-existing with my grief, anger and sadness.

As an experiential learner, I've been taken aback to discover the rather vague concepts that many of us Christians throw around somewhat lightly...are actually entirely true. 

Losing my parents has brought me more compassion and understanding for myself, and for others, as well as a newfound level of wonderment for Jesus. And, for me, that's a real reason for thanksgiving.

I come, God, I come, return to the Lord //
The one who's broken //
The one who's torn me apart //
You struck down to bind me up //
You say You do it all in love //
That I might know You in Your suffering //
Though You slay me, yet I will praise You //
Though You take from me, I will bless Your name //
Though You ruin me, still I will worship //
Sing a song to the One who's all I need //
My heart and flesh may fail //
The earth below give way //
But with my eyes, with my eyes //
I'll see the Lord lifted high upon that day //
Behold, the Lamb that was slain //
And I'll know every tear was worth it all // 
Though tonight I'm crying out //
Let this cup pass from me now //
You're still more than I need, You're enough for me
#WarOnGrumbling #40DaysOfThanksgiving

No comments:

Post a Comment