Tuesday 15 November 2016

#WarOnGrumbling Day 30

I'm thankful for the little things.

I walked to the prayer room today. My usual route winds through through the greenspace and back lanes of my West Broadway hood. I happened to pass a Syrian family moving in to an apartment building, and was mightily amused to see their two young children outside the building using a couch that had not yet been moved in as a trampoline. They were giggling and it was a tiny little slice of joy that I didn't catch on camera, but is etched on my heart. 

On the way was Peanut Park, one of my favorite spots since childhood. I stopped to admire some tiny red flowers that visually popped in a garden that's fading into winter but still lovely.

Later at Starbucks, my jaw dropped when a fairly ordinary sunset suddenly turned several shades of pink before disappearing into the November evening. It happened so quickly I wasn't able to capture it on film, but it was beauteous.

It could've been just another ordinary afternoon, but several little moments conspired to make it memorable.

More than a pot of gold
More than the finest silver
More than the precious jewels
Upon my fingers is who you are
More than the grains of sand
More than the flowers in the field
More than the twinkling stars
Against black velvet skies is who you are
There's a greater something
An invitation for more
There's a great big someone living
Inside out of little me
He's calling, calling calling me back to the garden
To have all the courage
To have the greater faith
And just to simply breathe in all of the greatness
Of who you are
To know that I am seen
To know you're singing my song
And in your mighty chest!
There is a heart that beats! For me
#WarOnGrumbling #40DaysOfThanksgiving

No comments:

Post a Comment