Thursday 13 October 2016

Diamonds


Go on. 
Drive to the lake...or the farm...or the States.
Insert Johnnyswim CD. 
Press play.
Forward to "Diamonds".
Sing along at the top of your lungs (even better with friends).
I double dog dare you not to.
I can confidently assert you will feel better than you have all week.
And if you're me, you'll feel closer to Abba.

Johnnyswim, husband and wife duo Abner Ramirez and Amanda Sudano, write lush and beauteous songs stemming from their relationship and lives. Written in the wake of the deaths of Ramirez's dad and Sudano's mom, the late great Donna Summer, "Diamonds" has an undeniably bittersweet feel and ridiculously singable lyrics that declare so much truth. 

I am a gem
I am a light-bearer
I am courageous
I am fiery
and you better believe that I am rising from the dust. 

But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, God's special possession, that you may declare the praises of him who called you. (1 Peter 2v9)
In the wake of every heartache
In the depth of every fear
There were diamonds, diamonds
Waiting to break out of here
Don't you think I hear the whispers
Those subtle lies, those angry pleas
They’re just demons, demons wishing they were free like me 
We're the fire, from the sun
We're the light when the day is done
We are the brave, the chosen ones
We're the diamonds, diamonds rising up out the dust 
All your curses will surrender
Every demon worth will kneel
They're just mountains, mountains about to turn into fields
You've taken down so many others
Oh, but you'll know my name when you see
And in these ashes I'm stronger still
You'll learn to feel my pain, yeah you will

#MonthfulOfMusic #HoodMom

No comments:

Post a Comment