Sunday 9 October 2016

Pressing On

I am a lifelong Bob Dylan fan, I've seen him live four times (with varying success) and spent many a Sunday afternoon analyzing his albums and lyrics (two of my favorite songs are "Lovesick" and "Everything is broken")

For a vast part of my life, I was also an enemy of the Cross so I never purchased nor listened to albums from Dylan's Christian period. I certainly heard "Gotta Serve Somebody", but mostly because it was a radio staple in the '80s and also won a Grammy Award.
I first heard "Pressing On" when Luke Wood covered it during one of his afternoon worship with the word sets at IHOP-KC. I was instantly smitten and did my usual research (including messaging Luke).

It wasn't just because I found a new Dylan track. That day I was caught up in a bit of a exasperation. I can't quite remember what was going on, but it could've been one of many things that vex me: an accusation, one of my kids being re-arrested, a young woman threatening abortion or one of my guys caught in the snares of sexual sin.

To hear the exhortation to press on, shake off the dust and keep on keeping on from the pen of one of my alltime favorite singer/songwriters was another potent reminder of the power of music in my life.

Well I'm pressing on
Yes, I'm pressing on
To the higher calling of my Lord
Many try to stop me, shake me up in my mind
Say, "Prove to me that He is Lord, show me a sign"
What kind of sign they need when it all come from within
When what's lost has been found, what's to come has already been?
Shake the dust off of your feet, don't look back
Nothing now can hold you down, nothing that you lack
Temptation's not an easy thing, Adam given the devil reign
Because he sinned I got no choice, it run in my vein
You know the adversary never sleeps - he is a roaring beast
He always comes at the time that you expect him least
And you know that he's responsible for death and pain and loss

 But we know we'll overcome him by the victory at the cross


#MonthfulOfMusic #HoodMom

No comments:

Post a Comment