Saturday 15 October 2016

Soldier of Love / Beg / The Love Inside

What a joy it has been to share music that I love for my Monthful of Music. Several times I had to put myself in check because I wasn't just sharing my favourite songs (which would take many, many months), but rather songs that have moved me and touched my heart throughout my life and faith journey.

But of course I couldn't just come up with an even 30, so here's a few more tracks that I feel are worthy of mention.

"Soldier of Love" by phenomenal Naija songstress 
Sade is one of my anthems as an urban missionary. In the wasteland of my own devastated love life, I became a soldier on the front lines fighting for God's love and I will until the day I pass from this earth.

I've lost the use of my heart but I'm still alive
Still looking for the life
The endless pool on the other side
It's a wild, wild west, I'm doing my best
I'm at the borderline of my faith
I'm at the hinterland of my devotion
In the front line of this battle of mine
But I'm still alive
I'm a soldier of love every day and night
I'm soldier of love all the days of my life
I've been torn up inside, oh, I've been left behind
So I ride, I have the will to survive
In the wild wild west trying my hardest
Doing my best to stay alive
I am love's soldier
I wait for the sound
I know that love will come turn it all around
I am lost but I don't doubt, oh
I'm a soldier of love

I'm a soldier


Life ain't easy when you're an intercessor contending for salvations and changed lives of well over 100 young men and women. In one of my most frustrating periods, I caught Shane & Shane as a warm-up act for Starfield in Winnipeg. My jaw dropped at their musicianship and I started to weep when they sang "Beg". For a good year afterwards, every prayer walk I'd embark on was accompanied by my off-key singing: 
I beg for You to move // 
I beg for You to break through

Here I am
One more day of not loving Him the way He asks
In fact my heart is singing praises to the things 
that make me feel alright
So I’m sinking fast like a stone heart should
And on the way down
I’ve done what I could
To try and try to turn this stone to flesh
I’m haunted by my God
Who has the right to ask me
What by the nature of my rebellion
I cannot give
So I beg for you to move
I beg for you to break through
So here I am
Got my deeds for the day
All my cute little words about
How I am saved Am I saved? 
Could I love you with my mouth like a church kid should
At the end of the day my words get burned as wood
Oh, but I was good
These songs are noise in your ears
A clanging drum, You want my love


Laura Hackett Park's shimmering vocals and personal lyrics in "The Love Inside" somehow manags to always explode my heart, often accompanied by crystal clear revelation. How this happens is a mystery to me; it's a bit tricky to describe what music does to to lift our hearts and minds. But it's real. Oh is it ever
Do Your eyes see me now Are You smiling? Are You proud? I believe You are, and this changes everything Your heart so full, You can't contain it Waves are crashing over me I feel so safe I can't explain it Peace and joy abounding me The love inside of You is so pure and so right It fills all heaven with its light Jesus, Your love is so amazing And this joy I can't explain it I'm caught up in the fellowship You're the One, there You go again Lifting my heart, lifting my head Hope is rising as I see You smiling

#MonthfulOfMusic #HoodMom

No comments:

Post a Comment