Friday 14 October 2016

Nearness

I've been walking in valley of the shadow of death for many years now. Several of my kids have been murdered, injured, shot, stabbed, beaten and run over. As bad as that was, things seemed to get worse when my father fell ill five years ago, finally passing away in April. 

It's been difficult, but I'm so grateful to be among a fiery troop of intercessors. A dear friend from my church prayed for me one night during our service and something she said became ultra-illuminated. She asked God to reveal Himself as Emmanuel, God with us. 

Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us. (Matthew 1v23)

And it occurred to me: whoa us means me...so God is with Gaylene. It's funny how sometimes the most simple revelation opens up an entire new realm in the heart. As I walked alongside my father as he steadily faded to black, my mantra became "Emmanuel: God with me."

The next time I listened to "Nearness" by Jenn Johnson, I knew I'd found a song that put words to my heart cry. Every lyric of that song is bang on; not a single word rings false.

Now my mother is declining. And I find myself repeating (and singing) that same truth: Emmanuel, God with Gaylene. My very present help in this time of trouble. 

I stand with so many questions
But You know all of the answers
And whether this side of Heaven
I know that You are the Healer
And my heart will stay steadfast
I know that You are good
And my heart will stay steadfast
I know that You are good
Comforter You are to me
Shelter from the cold
Constant how You carry me
Never letting go
You are with me
And Your voice holds me together
When I feel like I’m falling apart
And I place my world in Your hands
And You come and steady my heart
I feel you in the stillness
I know that You are good
I feel you in the stillness
I know that You are good
Emmanuel God with us, God with us
You are Emmanuel
Very present help
Emmanuel

#MonthfulofMusic #HoodMom

No comments:

Post a Comment